Skip to main content

Following a car accident, your life may become extremely difficult as you attempt to cope with the financial weight that comes with the injuries you have sustained. In New South Wales, car accident compensation is made available to all injured drivers, passengers, and pedestrians through the CTP insurance scheme, which is a government-sponsored initiative. Learn all you need to know about making a car accident claim, including how much money you may expect to get, who can submit a claim, how to file a claim, and how to qualify for free legal aid with your claim, in this definitive 2022 guide.

What type of financial compensation might I expect to get as a result of my vehicle accident injury claim?

11,016 motor vehicle accident injury claims were filed in New South Wales in the 12 months running up to May 2021, resulting in compensation and lump sum payments of $466 million being paid out.

In the event of a car accident, the amount of compensation you are eligible to receive is decided by the severity of your injuries, which will be classified as either minor or non-minor’ in nature.

Was wondering what the usual settlement amount is for minor car accidents.

It is likely that minor car accident injury claims in New South Wales will result in settlements that are less than the average settlement for all claims in New South Wales, which now stands at $43,174. If your injury has been classed as minor, you will only be eligible for income assistance as well as medical and home care expenditures for up to six months. This is because it is considered a soft tissue injury that will heal in less than six months if it has been classified as mild. If your injury has been classed as mild, you will be ineligible for any lump-sum benefits from the insurance company. As a result, because certain car accident injuries may take time to present themselves or deteriorate over time, the initial injury evaluation may no longer be appropriate in some instances.

If this has happened to you, you may choose to get a second opinion on your medical conditions. You may be classified as having non-minor injuries instead of minor injuries if your fresh examination reveals that your injuries have deteriorated or that you’ve developed additional difficulties as a result of your accident. This may qualify you to further vehicle accident damage compensation, which may include a one-time lump sum payout if this is the case.

Talk to our compensation experts at Law By Dan today. We offer a free, initial consultation.

In the case of a car accident, how much compensation do you receive for your pain and suffering if you are injured?

You may be eligible for a lump sum payout if your injuries are more serious and you were not at fault in the accident. This money may be used to compensate you for your pain and suffering, as well as any future income you may lose. The value of these lump sum claims may be substantial, with many reaching into the hundreds of thousands of dollars and others exceeding one million dollars.

Big sum payments for pain and suffering are decided by a preset scale that defines how much you would get based on the severity of your car accident injuries. Lump sum payments are paid in one lump sum for pain and suffering. However, in the majority of cases, the actual amount you get will be reduced based on the extent of your damage, on a sliding “partial” scale, and will be less than the amount you first got as compensation. It is possible to receive a substantial reward when someone loses the ability to use a limb, for example; but, if you just lose a portion of your ability to use a limb, the compensation will be reduced in proportion.

What is the typical amount of a settlement for a neck and back injury case?

The amount of money you get as a result of your neck and back injury settlement will be decided on the severity of your condition.

In minor injury cases, compensation may amount to $40,000 and for more significant or major injuries, a substantial amount more than that may be applicable.

What about motor cycle accidents, bus accidents etc. Are they treated the same?

Yes, if you are injured on the roads you are entitled to compensation.

What about if I was a passenger?

Yes, you can still claim compensation.

I was in a car accident, can I claim mental distress?

In some cases, you may be entitled for an accident injury settlement for emotional distress under the NSW CTP programme, depending on the nature of your diagnosis.

In the same way that physical injuries are classified, psychological injuries sustained as a consequence of motor vehicle accidents are split into two categories: moderate and severe.

Damages for psychological or psychiatric injuries that are not minor include compensation for psychological or psychiatric problems that have been diagnosed, such as depression and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), among many other ailments.

In addition to compensation for psychological or psychiatric injuries such as acute stress disorder and adjustment disorder, compensation for minor psychological or psychiatric injuries includes compensation for psychological or psychiatric injuries such as post-traumatic stress disorder.

How long will it take to get compensation?

A road accident compensation settlement typically takes between six and twelve months to complete.

Once your car accident compensation claim has been received and processed, the CTP insurer will review it and inform you if further action is required. If your claim is approved or refused, you will get a notification from the insurer within four weeks advising you of the decision and the amount of compensation you are entitled to receive. As soon as the insurer receives your claim, it will begin making compensation payments to you within 14 days of receiving your claim submission. Following the submission of your claim, you will get a second liability assessment from the CTP insurance carrier within three months of making your claim. During this liability determination, you will learn if your injuries were classified as minor or severe, and you will also learn who was found to be at fault for the accident that caused them.

How frequently do lawsuits arising from vehicle accidents wind up in court?

The vast majority of road accident compensation claims are resolved without going to court in most cases. An insurer’s judgement on your compensation payments can be disputed, and the vast majority of differences are resolved without the need for a court appearance by reaching an agreement on a settlement outside of the courtroom.

Obtaining a “Insurer Internal Review” from the CTP insurance company is a smart first step to take. If you are dissatisfied with the judgement, you can appeal it to the Personal Injury Commission, which will resolve the situation (PIC). It is possible that the PIC will be of service to you in one of the following ways:

  • To find a mutually agreed conclusion, be certain that both you and the insurer have a comprehensive understanding of the challenges.
  • Make preparations for a competent assessor to come to an unbiased and fair decision about your situation..

What is the procedure for submitting a claim for compensation for injuries sustained in a car accident?

If you are involved in a vehicle accident in the state of New South Wales, you have three choices for pursuing compensation:

  • Fill out and submit your application for reimbursement directly through the SIRA (State Insurance Regulatory Authority) online claim portal.
  • Apply for personal injury benefits by filling out an Application for Personal Injury Benefits form and submitting it to the insurance provider by email or traditional mail.

SIRA manages the claim procedure, whilst CTP insurers are responsible for the processing of automobile accident injury claims. Filing a claim with SIRA and the CTP insurer of the at-fault vehicle

If you are involved in a car accident and suffer injuries, you will need to gather the following documentation:

  • Details about the collision, such as the road and area where it occurred, as well as the time it occurred, are being sought by authorities.
  • An event identification number issued by the police
  • Describe your injuries in as much detail as possible.
  • Please keep all of your receipts and medical documents, as well as any other proof of the care you’ve received, with you at all times.
  • Provide information about your employment and earnings.

In order to acquire free legal help with my road accident compensation claim, what is the most efficient method?

In the state of New South Wales, lawyer’s fees for car accident compensation are strictly regulated. In order to assist you with your claim for personal injury compensation, lawyers are not entitled to collect a fee. When disputing the decision of a CTP insurer, you may, in the vast majority of circumstances, be able to hire a lawyer at no additional cost to you.

Why do CTP claims exist and how do they function?

An injury claim for CTP is a form of an insurance claim that you can make if you are injured in a motor vehicle incident in order to get compensation.

Compulsory third-party insurance (often known as CTP insurance) is mandated by law for all vehicles driving on NSW highways and public roads. You can submit a claim with the CTP for personal injury benefits if you’ve been injured in a car or other vehicle accident. These benefits are intended to compensate you for particular losses that have occurred as a result of the event. These losses might include, among other things, lost income in the past and future, medical, treatment, and care expenses, as well as pain and suffering and other emotional distress.

In New South Wales, the CTP claim procedure is regulated by SIRA (the State Insurance Regulatory Authority), however claims are assessed and processed by the CTP insurers on their clients’ behalf.

NRMA Insurance, QBE, GIO, Allianz, AAMI, YOUI, and CIC-Allianz are just a few of the insurers that cover CTP claims in New South Wales, among others.

Is it feasible for me to make a claim for CTP benefits?

It is possible to file a CTP insurance claim if you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident in New South Wales, regardless of whether you were driving, riding in another vehicle, or walking. You may be able to recover compensation for specific damages you have suffered as a result of the accident.

What if I was the one who was at fault in the accident?

If you are the at-fault driver or the driver who is largely at fault in an accident in New South Wales, you may be eligible to submit a CTP claim; however, personal injury benefits may be restricted to lost income, medical expenses, and care expenses for a maximum of six months following the event.

The other motorist may be able to submit a claim for personal injury compensation under the CTP insurance policy that covers your vehicle if you were at fault and he or she was injured. If you wish to avoid an accident, you should provide the other driver your CTP insurance details.

Is it feasible to obtain a CTP compensation in a lump sum in a single payment?

If your injuries have been proven to be serious and you were not at fault in the accident, you may be able to receive a lump sum payout from the insurance company. If you need income support for more than 24 months following your injury, you must file a lump sum claim, and the amount of the lump sum payout might be rather substantial in some situations.

The claim for statutory benefits must be filed within 28 days after the date of the road accident.

In order to claim compensation for injuries sustained in a motor vehicle collision involving another person, an Application for Personal Injury Benefits (Form PIP) must be completed.

It is possible to obtain the form through the SIRA website.

It is necessary to complete the Application for Personal Injury Benefits Form within 28 days after being involved in a motor vehicle accident. In this way, you may be assured that your weekly income and medical expenses will be covered by the insurance company as quickly as possible after filing a claim. If your motor vehicle accident occurred more than three months ago, you have three months to complete the application; however, weekly payments and reimbursement for medical expenses will not commence until the day on which the application is completed.

To be able to submit an application, you must have the following information at your fingertips:

  • A unique event identification number issued by the police.
  • Your primary care physician must write a medical certificate documenting your injuries and stating that you are able to execute your job obligations.
  • The evidence of your earnings must be provided in order to claim income loss compensation.
  • In the medical field, receipts/accounts are used to refer to bills for medical services that you have received.

After being involved in a motor vehicle accident, regardless of who was at fault, you or a loved one is entitled to weekly compensation and medical expenses for up to six months after the date of the accident.

If you are injured while driving, riding a motorbike, walking, or cycling, you may be eligible to submit a claim for compensation. The owner of a motor vehicle who has been injured has a legal right to get compensation. The possibility of filing a claim even if the motor vehicle involved is not recognised or registered, as in the event of a hit-and-run accident, should not be underestimated. These allegations are levelled against the imaginary plaintiff (the nominal defendant).

If the car or motor vehicle you were driving was uninsured and the accident was mostly your fault, you will not be able to pursue a claim against the other driver. If you have been charged with or convicted of any significant driving offence, you will be ineligible to submit a claim with the insurance company.

Aside from that, you are unable to obtain both statutory benefits for weekly payments as well as medical expenses, and you are not permitted to get either workers compensation or statutory benefits at the same time. Instead of receiving compensation under the Motor Vehicle Accident Compensation Act, you will get Workers Compensation payments in this situation.

How long do you expect the payment of weekly benefits and reimbursement of medical expenses under the Statutory Benefits Scheme will continue to be in effect?

After making a claim for statutory benefits with your insurance carrier, you will be entitled to weekly compensation payments (if you are unable to work) and medical expenses for the following six months, assuming you qualify.

It is expected that the insurance will make a judgment on the following within those six months, often around the four-month mark: – whether or not to compensate the claimant.

In addition, whether or not you incurred a “minor injury” as defined by the Motor Accidents Injuries Act; and whether or not the motor vehicle accident was entirely or mostly your fault or the fault of another driver are also relevant considerations.

What are minor injuries?

A “minor injury” is defined as any of the following or a combination of these:

  • an injury such as a sprain or strain
  • Soft-tissue injuries are those that affect the soft tissues.
  • Exacerbation of a minor psychological or mental illness

A soft tissue injury is characterised by the following characteristics:

The term “muscle strain” refers to “an injury to the connective tissue that supports or surrounds other structures or organs of the body” (such as muscle tendons, ligaments, cartilage, fascia fibrous tissues, fat blood vessels, and synovial membranes), rather than “an injury to the nerves or a complete or partial rupture tendon ligaments menisci cartilage.”

Aspects of the Motor Accident Regulations that are worth noting are as follows:

According to the legislation, “an damage to the spinal column or nerve root that manifests itself in neurological symptoms (other than radiculopathy) is deemed a soft tissue injury for the purposes of the act.”

As defined by the Psychological Association, a minor psychological or mental injury is one that does not require medical care.

The phrase “psychological or psychiatric harm” refers to anything that causes psychological or psychiatric harm but is not a recognised mental disease.

Whiplash-induced damage to the soft tissues of the neck or back is referred to as a soft tissue injury in medical terminology. A non-minor injury, on the other hand, is defined as any tendon damage, ligament damage, scarring, head injury, neurological injury, or anything else that is deemed to be comparable in nature.

It is vital to remember that an adjustment disorder is not considered to be a recognised mental illness when considering psychological harm. To prove that your injury is not minor, you will almost always need to demonstrate that you suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) as a result of the vehicle accident in order to establish that your injury was serious.

How Law By Dan Can Help

At Law By Dan, our compensation lawyers are deemed to be the most qualified in Australia. The far percentage of our compensation lawyers are Accredited Specialists. This means that they are considered by the relevant governing organisations as being the most qualified and experienced.